Saturday, May 30, 2009

Button, Ryan - D - Prince Albert WHL

Ryan Button / Prince Albert Raiders WHL

D-L / 6-0.25, 185 / 26-Mar-91

Skating: 65 / Skill: 60 / Sense: 65 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 60

Strengths: Plays a well-rounded game. Excellent mobility. Good PP skill and some offensive ability. Underrated toughness.

Weaknesses: 'Tweener size. Not very physical most of the time. Doesn't have top pairing upside.

Good two-way ability. Plays a confident and consistent game. Doesn't get enough credit for his offensive upside - I think he's got some 2nd PP unit upside at the next level. Moves the puck well inside the o-zone and has a good one-timer on the PP.

Deceptively good skater. Balanced, wide stride - good forward and backward. Carries the puck with speed out of the d-zone and make a sharp first pass. Solid in his own zone. Just thinks the game well at both ends. I do wish he were a little more physical, but that's not going to be his ticket to the NHL anyway.

Like his leadership qualities and consistent effort level. Only dropped the gloves 3 times this season, but each time he was jumping in to defend a teammate - and he can throw 'em pretty fierce.

Summary: Really grew on me the more I saw him and is a favorite of mine. I would really argue hard for this one with a mid-2nd or maybe even an early 2nd round pick.

Draft Day: Central's final ranking gives me some idea that I'm not alone in liking this player and he could go early in the 2nd. Otherwise I'll be shocked if he lasts much beyond the first few picks of the 3rd.

No comments: