Tuesday, May 08, 2007

2007 Wrap, Part 5 - BCHL

Kyle Turris, Burnaby - Thought I was really sticking my neck out way back in September when I had him in the middle of the first round. So much for that. Franchise centre. Don't worry, he'll fill out enough. I will be stunned if he's not one of the first two picks in the draft.

Riley Nash, Salmon Arm - Big time riser in the second half. Very complete player. Is knocking on the door of the first round.

Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Merritt - Seems like he's always on cruise, and that bothers me. Deadly around the net, however. Wish he used his size more. Very risky pick, but worth a 2nd round gamble.

Russell Goodman, Nanaimo - Good playoff run bumped his stock up a bit. Could be a middle rounder now.

Jamie Benn, Victoria - Has a good shot, but he sits around the slot waiting for his teammates to dig the puck out of the corner. Probably a middle rounder, but not very high on my list.

Chris Rawlings, Powell River - Looked better last season than this. Still worth a late pick.

Justin Courtnall, Burnaby - Okay, the fact Central measured him at 6-3 (he was listed at 6-1 all year) doesn't change much. Yeah, he skates well for his size. But that's about it.

Ben Winnett, Salmon Arm - Don't really like this player. Smallish and soft. But might have enough skill to draw late round interest.

2 comments:

Regan Bartel said...

Hi Michael.
First time I've visited and love the draft preview stuff.
Nice work.
I especially love your honest opinion on the kids you've seen in the draft.
I'll visit again!!

Patrick Haas said...

Hey Michael,

Not sure if you still check this page or not but I was just curious why you think Ben Winnett is "smallish" and soft?

Thanks